This year Easter will be celebrated on April 1, a holiday that celebrates the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Called a moveable feast because it doesn’t occur on the same date each year, Easter is one of the most important holidays in Christianity. The date decided as per the Churches in the West which follow the Gregorian calendar, is the first full moon after the vernal equinox in March. This, therefore, sets the date anywhere between March 22 and April 25. The Orthodox Christians usually celebrate Easter a week or two after the Churches in the West according to the Julian calendar.
History of Easter
Some sources reveal that the name comes from Eostre, a Teutonic Goddess of Spring and Fertility although the exact origin remains unknown. Some other sources relate the term to another Latin term hebdomada alba which means ‘White Week’. The white is a reference to ancient times when white clothes were worn by people who were baptized during the week. After an error in translation, the word esostarum was found in Old High German that later was adapted as Easter in English.
Easter is not just a single day but a season in the Christian year. Lent, is a 40 day period that leads up to Easter Sunday and is used for retrospection and penance.
- It is believed that Lord Jesus roamed in the wilderness avoiding the temptations from the devil for 40 days before forming his ministry.
- The last day before Lent is known as Mardi Gras or the Fat Tuesday, the last day of food and fun before fasting is undertaken.
- A week before Easter is called the Holy Week. This includes Maundy Thursday, commemorating the last supper Jesus had with his disciples.
- Good Friday when Lord Jesus was crucified and Holy Saturday which is the transition between crucifixion and resurrection.
- The 50 days after Easter are known as Eastertide which celebrates the Lord’s ascension to Heaven.
Easter is celebrated all around the world and over the years, has associated itself with Easter eggs, Easter bunnies baskets and candies. Some of these are derived from Pagan traditions while others have evolved over the centuries.
Ampac USA wishes all its readers, customers, stakeholders and personnel a joyful and extraordinary Easter.
Ampac USA is a manufacturer of water treatment systems used around the globe for quality drinking water. The company has an experience of over 40 years, uses the latest technology to provide a standard, reliable products and works with experts to give the best possible service.
Leave a Reply