A movement that started around 110 years ago in the 1900’s, Women’s Day has transformed over the years. The once looked down upon gender is quite rightfully celebrated around the world on March 8 every year. It is a day that by its very definition celebrates the social, cultural, political and economic achievements of women across the world. The movement has come a long way and the progress is noticeable but the fight doesn’t end here. As more and more women as well as men join the cause, there is a hope and need of extinguishing the long time fire in many places where women are still underpaid, still discriminated against and still considered the second gender.
- The UN estimates that women make only 77 cents on every dollar earned by men for equal work.
- Of the total companies in the Fortune 500 list in 2016, only 4.2% were women CEOs.
- Despite being almost the same number as men in the world, globally there is only a 23% female representation in the parliament.
- Even today a good number of women suffer from poverty, lack of health care and education in almost every part of the world.
“The fastest way to change society is to mobilize the women of the world.” – Charles Malik
Businesses and International Women’s Day
In the most recent of years, businesses have started paying attention and giving equal importance to the role of women in a workforce. Studies have shown that diverse team increases productivity, is goof for financial returns, very good for employee engagement and more. The movement is grabbing attention in the industries for understanding that equal rights affect everyone and female representation does too.
Promotion of gender diversity in a workplace
Globally, females represent only 50% of the labor force against the 76% of men representation. This figure can easily be changed by empowering women in industries and building better economies. The industry doesn’t matter, just as long as you have policies that safeguard everyone’s right in a workplace, gender discrimination will not happen. This doesn’t just come in a simple suit but is also a blessing in disguise. Reports and studies around the world have shown that encouraging gender diversity in the workplace has certain benefits.
- In a study 2,360 companies globally in 2012 revealed groundbreaking statistics that showed companies with at least one female in the board outperformed the rest by a good 26% over a period of six years. A 2015 McKinsey report found certain relations between gender equality and higher performance.
- A company’s reputation when builds up on the lines of gender diversity, the talent pool available for recruiting doubles and so does the number of investors and customers.
- A study by scientific American found that working alongside a diverse group of people can spark creativity, innovation, increase hard work and diligence.
It is a fact that by pulling women back, we are effectively developing at half the rate than our potential can. Promoting women and equal rights amongst all is a step towards ensuring that we grow and develop at a faster rate no matter what business we belong to. Celebrating Women’s Day is voicing your opinion and making changes to see equal rights be a reality.
Ampac USA is a manufacturer of water treatment systems used around the globe for quality drinking water. The company has an experience of over 40 years, uses the latest technology to provide standard, reliable products and works with experts to give the best possible service.
Leave a Reply